2016 Top Hand
Thursday, January 19th 2017 – Petroleum Club of Midland
6PM Reception, 7PM Dinner & Award Banquet
Mack C. Chase – Mack Energy Corporation
Born April 29, 1931
- At age 14-started working in the oilfield on a pulling unit.
- After graduation from high school in 1950, went to work for Nash, Winfor and Brown working on pulling units.
- In the Army from 1951-1953 as an A&E Mechanic.
- 1954-1956 started a well servicing business – Chase Well Service.
- 1957-1960 worked for General American.
- 1960-1968 worked for brother, George Chase, at Chase Well Service.
- 1968 – Started business – Mack Chase, Inc. Operated 18-21 rigs.
- 1979 – Mack and John R. Gray formed Marbob Energy Corporation, an oil/gas production/operating company.
- 1992 – Mack formed a new company named Mack Energy Corporation. Mack Energy Corporation is an oil/gas operating company.
- 1996- Mack formed a Charter Air Service based out of Midland, Texas Deerhorn Aviation
- 1999- Mack purchased Avion a FOB in Midland, Texas
- 2000/02 Opened offices in Midland and Ft. Worth
- 2001 Started Arrowhead Pipe & Supply Company
- 2004- Purchased Carlsbad Insurance Company Mack and his sons also own and operate Chase Farms based in New Mexico, Arizona, and Wyoming.
Mack Chase is a man who is well known and well respected by all who know him. Mack is the 4th child of 8 born to Edgar and Marie Chase. He was born in Texas and moved to Artesia as a youngster, attending schools in Artesia. Following graduation from Artesia High School in 1950, he joined the armed forces stationed in Korea and returned to Artesia in 1953. He was married in 1953 to Marilyn Yvonne Stack. Mack and Marilyn have three children, Robert, Richard and Gerene, and grandchildren Chance, Kortney, Dallas, Derek, Delany, and Jacey.
Mack started in the oil and gas industry working with his father and his brother George. In 1968, he purchased a pulling unit from his brother and was on his way upward. His generosity expands beyond the oil/gas business throughout the whole community. In 1983 Mack was recognized as “Businessman of the Year” by the Artesia Chamber of Commerce; in 1997 he was Artesia Desk and Derrick’s “Boss of the Year”; in 2000 his business Mack Energy Corporation was recognized as the Artesia Chamber of Commerce’s “Corporate Business of the Year”. In 2005 Mack was awarded a lifetime achievement award from the Artesia Public Schools for his support and generosity over the years. A very proud and caring person, he has always been a staunch supporter of all school and “Bulldog” activities; Mack personally selects a high school senior annually to be the recipient of a $20,000 scholarship based on academic and athletic accomplishments and financial need; Mack has always been there for the community supporting many organizations including equipment for Artesia General Hospital, Grammy’s House, Marie Chase Community Center, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Door of Opportunity, Artesia Public Schools, Artesia Chamber of Commerce, Artesia MainStreet, Special Olympics, Fellowship of Christian Athletes and numerous youth organizations throughout the community. Mack has expanded his operations throughout the years to include, Chase Oil Corporation, Chase Farms, Deerhorn Aviation, Caza Energy, Buffalo Oilfield Supply, San Saba Pecan, Purple Sage Ranch, and Paddock Café.
In 2007 Mack struck a deal with AHS graduates from the class of 2007 and a 3.0 gpa he would start a scholarship program and commit $1.5 million dollars over a 4 year period to help the students obtain a college education and degree. Mack’s goal through this deal was to get these 135 kids to graduate and be productive citizens becoming our future leaders. The youth of Artesia mean a lot to Mack, he wants to give them opportunities he didn’t have when he was growing up.
It takes caring people to make things happen and Mack Chase is certainly recognized as one of those caring people, “HELPING GOOD PEOPLE DO GREAT THINGS”
2015 EVENT HIGHLIGHT VIDEO: Honoring Curtis W. Mewbourne